2018 Heitz Cellar - Quartz Creek Vineyard Chardonnay (92

2018 Heitz Cellar - Quartz Creek Vineyard Chardonnay (92

11/11/2021, 9:19:05 AM
2018 Heitz Cellar - Quartz Creek Vineyard Chardonnay (92 pts) @heitzcellar ℹ️ This wine is 💯 Chardonnay from the Quartz Creek Vineyard in the Oak Knoll appellation of Napa Valley, California. As the name implies, the vines grow over a bed of quartz rock. The grapes were harvested early to preserve acidity. The wine does not go through malolactic fermentation. The wine is aged on the lees for 14 months in French oak with only 10% new oak barrels. The remaining 90% is large neutral oak. 👁 Pale lemon color. 👃 Medium intensity on the nose. Aromas of green apple, lime blossom, key lime, lemon pith, chrysanthemum tea, acacia, and wet rock. 👄 The wine is dry, medium+ acidity, medium+ alcohol (13.5%), and medium body. The palate starts linear and acid-driven but starts to widen with the hint of oak on the mid-palate. A medium+ length finish of citrus and florals. 🔔 When I think of Heitz Cellar's wines, Cabernet Sauvignon jumps to mind, but this vintage debut of Quartz Creek Vineyard Chardonnay is quite impressive. To be honest, except for a few outliers, I don't think Chardonnay shows that well in Napa, so now I need to add another outlier to the list. Many smart decisions got this wine to this result: harvesting early, blocked malo, long lees aging, and a pinch of new oak. Well done, Heitz Cellar! #vin #lovewine #🍷 #wineterroir #wine #napa #heitzcellar #oakknoll #napawine #napavalley

Related articles